Moving season is approaching quickly. With more hours of daylight and warmer temperatures abound, it’s not surprising that spring and summer are the most popular times of the year for relocating. However, just because the weather’s nicer doesn’t make moving any easier. Accomplishing a successful and stress-free move at any time of the year still requires planning ahead, especially over the summer months when peak moving season is in full swing.
During the summer season, roughly 60-70% of people moving in a year choose the summertime to relocate. Getting ahead of the crowds and starting to plan now not only will improve your chances of finding reputable, professional moving companies at lower rates, but you’ll also benefit from a more calmer and less stressful moving experience. In this guide, take a look at some of our favorite tips on planning an organized move from Covan Worldwide Moving before peak moving season arrives.
Tips for an Easy Move
Figuring out how to get started with your pre-move plan can be just as daunting as the move itself. That’s why we have put together a list of tips for your review so you can get a head start on your moving plans before the high season hits.
- Hire Professionals: One of the easiest ways to get ahead of your move is to hire professional movers who know every tip and trick to get you from your old home into your new home. Make sure to hire your movers at least a month ahead of time to ensure availability, especially if you’re planning on moving after Memorial Day weekend. Before choosing your mover, make sure to verify the services they offer along with the reputation they carry for the best possible outcome and the most satisfaction.
- Make a List: The easiest way to get stressed out during the move is to jump in unprepared and disorganized. Most people either wait till the last minute to start packing, or they fail to account for everything that needs to get done before moving day.
Give yourself a month or two to set up a checklist of to-do tasks that will help you feel empowered and capable as moving day draws near. For those hoping to beat the moving crowds over the summer, this means starting now.
- Determine your budget: Everything can be rolling smoothly, but as soon as money starts to get tighter the stress level starts rising. Before you commit a penny to your move sit down and determine your budget. This is the time to ask the hard questions like how much do your movers cost? Do you have tolls and hotel stays covered? Will you need a kennel for your pet? Knowing now saves you a headache later.
Also, it’s important to keep in mind that the sooner you book, the less expensive it can be. Most moving companies raise their rates over the summer months in response to the higher demand. Booking now and before moving season starts can help you to save a bundle in moving costs.
- Change of Address and Other Information: Over the summer, you’re likely to experience long lines at the post office and in other businesses. To save time, make sure to get your change of address forms set up as soon as you can to avoid crucial interruptions in your mail service and to spend less time running errands before your move. Also, make sure you have medical records, employee records, and any other important information ready to go for your new residence. Don’t forget to share with family and friends your new address while you’re at it.
- Measure and Plan: Your new home is not going to be a copy of your old home. Make sure to measure the dimensions of your new place and plan out how your belongings are going to fit. Knowing where everything is going before you start unpacking can be a huge timesaver, and can keep you from having to use last-minute storage options—which might be difficult over the summer months.
- Don’t Forget the Supplies: Make sure you have plenty of moving boxes, bubble wrap, tape, labels, and markers for your move. You will want everything safely packed and properly labeled. Check your local retailers for the supplies you need so you can get packing sooner.
Besides our standard tips, you may want to consider a few extras to help make moving day go by easier. Get plenty of sleep the night before, ask for help from friends and family, and don’t forget to budget time to eat, so you keep up your energy levels during relocation.
Hopefully, you feel like you’re better prepared for your upcoming move now that you’ve read our handy planning tips. If you’re ready for the first step in your moving plans, consider working with Covan Worldwide Moving to handle all of your moving needs. For more information, give us a call now or fill out our online form to schedule a free, in-home moving quote and consultation with a personalized moving coordinator.